Transparent Resins

From: vagelis (ekalath@unipi.cc.unipi.gr)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 16:54:10 EEST

Dear Sadegh,

I really don't know many things about the process followed in photoelastic tests ,as i am not even an engineer :-) , but some of my professors have proposed that in order to measure the internal stresses you need to have models as transparent as possible. I am aware of the fact that there are photoelastic materials for coating, or casting which can be used in a secondary process, but i thought that it can be useful to have transparent models directly from Stereolithography. Maybe i am wrong because i am quite new at the subject, so please correct me if you think otherwise. Any help from your side will be appreciated.

Best Regards

Giannis Giannatsis
CAD/CAM Laboratory
Dept. of Industrial Management
Univ. of Piraeus

Dear Giannis,

Could you tell me what is the benefit of having a transparent resin
like Somos 3100 Series? By the way I am doing a full range of tests
on epoxy 5170.

Regards

Sadegh Rahmati
 Centre for Rapid Prototyping in Manufacturing
 Department of Manufacturing Eng. & Operations Management
 University of Nottingham, University Park
 Nottingham, United Kingdom, NG7 2RD

 Email: EPXSR@epn1.nott.ac.uk
 Tel; +44 115 9514033 ; Fax; +44 115 9514150