Re: Market Saturation

From: Thomas Himmer (himmer@toyota-ti.ac.jp)
Date: Tue May 27 1997 - 10:14:46 EEST

--- On Mon, 26 May 1997 10:34:53, -0500 MR ALBIN A HASTBACKA
<KHVD07A@prodigy.com> wrote:
> -- [ From: Al Hastbacka * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
> The talk about market saturation at 2500 units is absolute nonsense. I
> am investigating NICHE markets that have needs for four to ten times
> this number of units. In one of our studies, we have found more than
> thirty thousand companies in the US alone that have a need for RP. The
> international market requirements will more than double this. This
> would indicate that more than 70,000 companies have a need for RP. When
> you figure that many of these companies have needs for multiple units,
> the potential market is at least two orders of magnitude higher than the
> 2500 units that were mentioned.
>
> This discussion reminds me of IBM's original forecast of $25M for the
> 3250 graphic systems that Sanders designed and produced for Big Blue.
> The final numbers on this product and the derivative products ended up
> at $1.5B. Even IBM can miss its market forcasts by a wide mark.
>
> What is needed to meet these larger markets?
>
> 1. Easier to use 3D software. e.g. JewelCad is making the design of
> jewelry possible by model makers (i.e. people) who are not previously
> trained in CAD. This is an area where the universities and colleges can
> make a significant contribution.
>
> 2. Lower cost RP systems- This will come with larger volume sales.

I would like to add, that RP systems should be improved concerning
accuracy, building speed, materials (direct metal) in order to meet market
(customer) demands. As I know many workshops in Japan hesitate with the
introduction of RP, because of such issues.

Best regards Thomas Himmer
Thomas Himmer
Toyota Technological Institute
Mechanical Systems Engineering