market saturation huh?

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 20:27:39 EEST

When is the rp world going to realize they've got gold in their hands.
The market for this technology is the popular market. It is not just the
specialized engineers. The sooner you are getting people to understand
that this is as easy as printing a document at kinkos the more users you
will have. THere are nigh unlimited applications for this stuff and the
number one application is fun, awe, and wonder.

Don't think there is a market for fun awe and wonder? Well look at
hollywood! ANd look at the numbers. A major growth industry is
entertainment.

Many companies as they develop products want other companies to come in
and fill in the gaps, make products that make their product easier to
use. The real challenge facing the development of the rp market (this
has been eloquently stated by Terry Wohlers) is the development of a cad
program thats as easy as driving a car. Trispectives seems to have
failed in this way, and why? its no damn fun. What's fun? animation
packages. Note recently on the list that Allen Brady is flipping over 3d
Studio max.

Obviously part of the problem is the cost of machines and cost of
models. I agree with Marshall burns who once wrote he was tired of
hearing people complain about the cost of RP. For what it does, it is a
dirt cheap miracle. But for the person who might have a
cad/animation/modeling program. this costs too much.

In my opinion we haven't even begun to realize the market potential of
additive fabrication.

As usual, I'll end my rant with a chant-two of them actually
"KINKOS, KINKOS, KINKOS, KINkOS"
and
"FULL RESOLUTION COLOR, FULL RESOLUTION COLOR, FULL RESOLUTION COLOR"

--
michael rees
sculptor