Stratasys wish list results

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 14:02:01 EEST

Hi all,

Some months ago (Feb. 11th to be exact) rp-ml hosted a thread proposed by
Rick on this subject. I am re-distributing the main points again, and would
be curious to know from Stratasys users whether recent upgrades to the
Stratasys line of products have incorporated any of these.

> o road rendering in quickslice
>
> o a diagnostic panel on the machine which shows current z-level
> and x-y coordinates
>
> o sml-editing capability in quickslice o automatic positioner for
> nozzle
>
> o lighter head with more nozzles and/or materials
>
> o better (more?) environment temperature sensors
>
> o more even air circulation in build envelope
>
> o and more respect for WindowsNT boxes 8-) [two-way serial
> communication programs to replace ssend command for on-the-fly
> modifications and better soft diagnostics/control]
>
> - some alternative support structures to minimize support drawing
> time.
>
> - permanent platforms.
>
> - larger spools of support material. - speed!

> (1) The ability to generate both direct and containment supports at
> the same time, as decided by a predetermined ratio of area (X-Y) to
> height (Z).
>
> (2) Better lighting inside the cabinet.

> (3) Supports which can be removed with much less effort (preferably,
> supports which can be dissolved by a chemical agent), or to ask for
> the moon in this particular case, supports which can be removed by
> dipping in plain water

> 1. Better lighting in the cabinet (retrofit options for existing
> machines would be nice )
>
> 2. Road sets that could be stored in a file. There is no easy way I
> have found to go from the default values. It would be nice to be able
> to recall complete sets that you know work for a given situation.
>
> 3. Better serial communications on NT. Ssend in a DOS window works
> but should be improved on. For security reasons, we have had to
> create a special account that can be left logged on for the duration
> of the build. Inconvenient and not elegant.
>
> 4. Road width display or rendering in quickslice. The current center
> line display leaves much to the imagination.
>
> 5. Capability to handle power failures. I have a UPS for my server
> and work station that handle most power outage situations easily. The
> controls on the 1650 could be supported off a small UPS with no
> problem (not the heaters or motors), so having the machine go in to a
> pause would be should be a simple problem to solve. The UPS signal
> output is well defined. If the power is off for any length of time,
> the machine would have to remain in pause until the temperature is
> back up.
>
> 6. Variable slice thickness. I have built several models where a .015
> or .020 slice would be acceptable for a large portion of the model,
> but some features require a thinner slice thickness to get the detail.
>
> 7. SPEED
>
> 8. Different support materials that could possibly be dissolved with
> chemicals.
>
> 9. Surface finish improvement and/or better ways of finishing a model.
>
> 10. An easy way to clean the cabinet. A lot of material gets swept
> down the gaps on each side never to be seen again.

> [...]

Yakov Horenstein, Marketing
Promau Engineering srl
155, Strada per Novara
28062 Cameri (NO), ITALY
Tel: +39 (0)321 510390 [Direct: +39 (0)2 653512]
Fax: +39 (0)321 616068 [Direct: +39 (0)2 2900 6208]
E-mail: promau@msoft.it [Direct: yakov@planet.it]