RE: updated webb page announcement

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 04:12:46 EEST

After visiting Michael's web site, I thought of an old question I have
asked myself and a few others in the past, but not recently. Perhaps now
that several new machines have been introduced, someone has a better
perspective.

The question is, in what ways can parts made by RP or automated additive
fabrication machines take advantage of the qualities of the materials in
use in such machines? In other words, RP materials are seen usually to
have disadvantages, because they are weak or brittle or have low melting
points, or have a rough surface finish, or absorb moisture, or need to
be hand finished, and so forth. How can such properties be seen as
desirable?

For instance, the rough surface finish of an SLS part has a feel to it
that can be pleasing or the porosity might have a function of its own.
As Michael points out in one of his comments, a work of art made by RP
can or must be sanded and painted by the artist, raising the opportunity
for additional creative inputs to the surface (some materials are easier
to finish than others). The lines in LOM parts can be adjusted for color
and sanded to give the apearance of a wood sculpture. Lighting can be
placed inside translucent RP materials for some desired affects. We have
seen several comments on this mailing list regarding color RP. It seems
to me that some modelmakers may take some pleasure in their work from
such aspects of RP, but has anyone besides a few artists tried to make a
business from the aesthetic side?

Brock Hinzmann
SRI International
Menlo Park, California