Turning negatives into positives

From: Terry T. Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 03:02:01 EEST

Brock Hinzmann wrote:

> points, or have a rough surface finish, or absorb moisture, or need to
> be hand finished, and so forth. How can such properties be seen as
> desirable?

Brock - Thought-provoking comments! Several years ago, I worked with a
manufacturer of custom-fit, in-the-ear hearing aids. We produced many
hearing aid shells using different RP processes. Interestingly, the vice
president of engineering and manufacturing viewed the stair steps on the
surface as a retention feature of the product. An RP-produced hearing aid
shell would not fall out of the ear nearly as easily as a polished shell.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.
twohlers@compuserve.com