Re[4]: Machine Hour Capacity Gage

From: jim@paramountind.com
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 03:24:42 EEST

     An analogy to bring closure:

     You would not buy a thoroughbred race horse for a premium price if the
     gate purse did not offer the potential of high stakes and large
     reward.

     In development we are challenged to push speed and time-to-market. We
     sometimes find the answer to the question, when is enough enough. That
     is; "What is the time value of money"? The answer will be apparent
     when you submit a proposal for a new time saving gizmo to save a day
     in development/tooling and you are shot down. Or, when you submit a
     proposal to a client which meets their deliverable dates and they
     don't move forward with the request because they couldn't justify the
     price for the time saved. Enough can be enough!

     Optimizing available machine capacity by out-sourcing is strategically
     and financially superior for ROI. How many companies generate enough
     product to fill capacity of their RP systems. How many realized this
     in the early days of RP and began out-soucing capacity to justify
     investment. e.g. Baxter, Becton Dickinson, and I'm sure there are
     more. How many more produce trash and trinkets (and call them
     engineering models) just to justify the investment (show charts to
     management with capacity utilization).

     Thanks for the exchange,
     Jim