"Proper English" by some vs. communicating by all

From: DanF@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 18:15:21 EEST

In a message dated 97-07-15 10:54:09 EDT, corden@globaltool.com (Richard
Corden) writes:

 At 12:32 AM 7/15/97 +0100, Yakov Horenstein wrote:

>How brave you are! I have often felt like writing the exact same thing, but
>always chickened out. Frankly, I am astounded by the sloppiness and
>imprecision of a lot of the language used on Internet, not only on rp-ml.

 While I can certainly agree that a poorly written message is distracting, I
 would rather read a grammatically imperfect posting than no posting at all.
 One of the purposes of this internet forum is to allow for the dissemination
 of ideas through an international community. If the members of this
 community become overly concerned with the creation of grammatically perfect
 messages, it is likely that some ideas will die on the keyboard. Any reader
 of this list knows that the group of regular contributors comprises a small
 percentage of the list membership, and it is perhaps concern over this type
 of commentary that more people do not offer their opinions. I would
 suggest, therefore, that rather than commenting on these grammatical
 failings publicly, which serves only to humiliate the individual in front of
 his or her peers, those who have a problem with this issue should vent
 privately about it. Whether the result of a fundamental shortcoming in
 education or from hastiness, clumsy writing is unfortunate, but it is the
 content of the posting not the quality that is important even if it means
 that the reader must extract the idea being conveyed from a poorly written
 message.

 Richard Corden >>

--- "Proper English" vs. Communication ---

In addition to agreeing whole-heartedly with Richard, my perspective on this
issue is this: the Internet is a medium that offers the world a chance to
share information and communicate. What do you think this emphasis on
grammar and spelling will have (or has already had) on those that do not have
English as their native language?

While proper grammar and spelling certainly make communicating more
efficient, its importance should/must not (IMHO) in any way discourage the
global community, in which we are all members, from participating. In this
forum, communication by many/all is more important than efficient ("proper")
communication by some.

-Dan Feinberg