Re: Adding Texture to the Surface of an STL file

From: Haeseong J. Jee (ÁöÇؼº) (jacobjee@wow.hongik.ac.kr)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 05:02:04 EEST

Dear Mr. Hastbacka,

My PH.D. thesis in M.I.T., USA, was related to overlay a surface
macro-texture on an hip-joint implant stem (STL file, of course). A
resulting paper was
published in SFF Symposium 96, Texas, USA.

The resulting file, however, is not STL. As you guess, STL file including
thousands of texture features could be several Mega byte undesirable.
So, I have used different approach. We produced its physical parts using
3D Printing apparatus under developement in MIT.

Mind if I ask you where you are working now and what kind of RP application
you are interested in?

Jacob
Haeseong Jacob Jee
Assistant Prof.