Re: more on stereo photo

From: Michael C Maguire (mcmagui@SANDIA.GOV)
Date: Fri Jul 18 1997 - 19:46:48 EEST

Question for the group:

On a news report of the Mars exploration, they alluded to a process by which
they take the output from the stereoviewing cameras on the little dune buggy,
and then created a physical topographic model of the surface of Mars. They
showed the model, roughly 18 in. x 24 in. and a few inches high (it could have
been a LOM model, but they only showed it briefly). It wasn't really detailed,
and appeared crude, but I wasn't aware that it was possible to take the output
from stereophotos and turn them into a geometric surface representation. I don't
know if they generated .stl, .slc, or whatever to make the part, or even if it
was a LOM or other model, but the concept is intriguing

With apologies for spelling, grammatical, syntactical, and tense errors,

Michael C. Maguire, Ph.D.
Liquid Metal Processing Laboratory
Mail Stop 1134
Sandia National Laboratories