Re: Converting STL

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@scf.usc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 03:48:43 EEST

Leonel Graça wrote:

> --
>
> Hi world-wide-everybody
>
> I can not understand why there is a need to convert or machine on STL
> files.

Leonel

People send us STL files of all sizes and shapes for fabrication. Some
of these parts lend themselves to additive technologies and others are
more effectienly built on a CNC mill. In some cases, we need to build
one section of a part in LOM and another section on the CNC. Without
the ability to create tool paths on an STL file, we're left with the
option to request IGES or other surface data from the customer (this
takes time and can be a pain in the rear) or go ahead and use the less
efficient additive technology.

Steve
--------
Steve Farentinos