Re: OS, CAD,table space, boat anchors,and RP

From: Kevan Jones (kevan_jones@cemcom.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 22:29:05 EEST

We at CEMCOM also use UG on an Intel Windows NT platform. I don't think
that any .stl files that we have generated and had built have caused any
problems, unless there was a problem with the CAD geometry from which the
.stl file was created.

In a perfect world, the OS would play no part in the translation between
CAD systems/RP Machine formats. It would (and should) act only as a carrier
for the information. If an operating system actually prevents one from
building perfect models, then it should not be considered a suitable
operating system for running the application in which you try to build
those models. The point here is that you build models in an application,
not in the OS. File transfer between systems is the real problem. A UG file
(WinNT) should be a UG file (Unix), as should all transfer file formats
(IGES, .stl, DXF, etc).

I think developing a foolproof system should be the goal of every RP
vendor. As long as the system interfaces with existing network technology
to facilitate file transfer between CAD and RP, why should we care what the
OS is as long as it does what it is supposed to do. The cost of computing
is going to continue to drop, and if UNIX machines don't get cheaper quick,
then vendors might just concentrate on porting to NT.

If you want an all in one system then maybe we should wait for MS
ToyFactory (the Win NT/SLA machine combination that allows kids to build
their own toys), $499 in the stores by Christmas 2000 :-)

Kevan Jones
Director, IS
CEMCOM Corporation
1919 Halethorpe Farms Rd