Re[4]: Performance metrics

From: ralott@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 19:03:50 EEST

     Marshall,

     I hope you don't mind that I'm posting the reply to your query on the
     RP list, but I thought it raised some relevant questions that would be
     of interest to the group.

     You asked why did I seek help from the RP population on a service
     question.

     I don't always, but in this case I did so because past on-line
     discussions led me to believe there was more laser expertise available
     on the mailing list than at 3D. And perhaps this is true, as I got
     not get it corrected through 3D's tech service.

     One other time I had asked a question of Stratasys, and when the
     answer was slow in coming I posted it on the list. Very soon after,
     an engineer at Stratasys replied to my mailing list posting with the
     answer. In this case, the mailing list got their attention faster
     then the usual channels (which was what I was hoping for).

     I know from these events that companies like 3D Systems and Stratasys
     read the RP mailing list, and I use the list as a motivater when I
     need to prod a company to action.

     This doesn't always work, however. Other SLA users and I have posted
     several complaints about 3D Systems' decision not to support HP
     workstation users with the latest software -- even though we paid
     their incredibly high price for software maintenance. In this
     particular instance, I am disappointed to learn how unwilling 3D is to
     address the issue in this public forum.

     Any regular reader of the list will know I am not the only one
     (Elaine) who uses the list in an attempt to prod the big companies
     into providing what we feel is the appropriate level of customer
     service -- whether it works or not.

     Rick Lott
     Hughes Space and Communications
     Los Angeles CA