...no subject...

From: bvanhiel@nordson.com
Date: Tue Aug 26 1997 - 16:21:47 EEST

To All:

While "One-Half" is an actual virus, I get the feeling that this message is
a self promotion for Iris Software. I would not encourage the propagation
of this message, or else we are going to start seeing "warnings" from other
anit-virus software companies as well.

If this message has awakeded your fears about viruses, you can get some
information from a good source at:
http://ciac.llnl.gov/
The Computer Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC) of the US Department of
Energy has descriptions of numerous viruses as well as virus hoaxes (which
are a form of email virus in and of themselves -> this is what Iris is
trying to exploit). If you want to do something, buy some anit-virus
software and use it. If you want a good recommendation, check any of the
numerous computer magazines.

I would consider Iris's actions before deciding to visit their site. Would
you visit a doctor who spreads the very disease he is purporting to cure?

An email virus is like a computer virus: it needs a host to spread it and
keep it alive. You don't like receiving spam, so don't send it to your
friends.

-Brian
----------
>From Yakov Horenstein <yakov@planet.it>, on 8/26/97 11:13 AM:
TEL AVIV, Aug. 25 (UPI) - An Israeli computer software company says the
computer virus "One-Half" is striking again, after 2-1/2 years, and might
have affected millions of computers around the world.

Ofer Ahitoov ("oh-FER ah-hee-TUV"), president of Iris Software, told
reporters that in the past three weeks "One-Half" struck five companies in
Israel and abroad. The companies are not connected with each other and he
believes the virus spread through the internet.

He said, "Usually this signals an oncoming plague."

"One-Half" works by encrypting one of the 600 to 700 parts of the hard disk
whenever the computer is booted. It does not announce its presence until it
hits half the disk.

Then the text on the screen will say "Dis is one-half."

Ahitoov said his company has devised an anti-virus solution which could be
downloaded free from the Internet in the coming two weeks. The solution
would be at http://www.irisav.com. --

Yakov Horenstein, Marketing
Promau Engineering srl
155, Strada per Novara
28062 Cameri (NO), ITALY

Tel: +39 (0)321 510390          [Direct: +39 (0)2 653512]
Fax: +39 (0)321 616068        [Direct: +39 (0)2 2900 6208]
E-mail: promau@msoft.it          [Direct: yakov@planet.it]