Re: Stratasys

From: Drew Brown (conreality@greatid.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 23:42:34 EEST

Douglas Mitchell wrote:

> Fellow/Fella [;-)] RPers,
>
> I have been approached by my management regarding the build time
> of parts on the FDM series of machines. Does anyone have a comparison
> of build times for a/the standard parts on the SLA - FDM - Helisys -
> etc.?
>
> I am also interested in communicating with anyone who has taken
> delivery of and has experience with the FDM 8000.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Doug Mitchell
> dmitchel@ford.com

Doug

It is very difficult to quantify the FDM process in general terms. The
geometry is the contributing factor to the build time. We've had parts
take up to 200 hours on our FDM1650 which would normally take 20-30
hours our a Sinterstation or our SLA. But on the other hand we've built
parts (normally smaller parts) using FDM taking 30 minutes to 1 hour
that would run for 4-5 hours on our Sinterstation or our SLA.

The more support required on the FDM build the longer the build time.

Drew Brown
Conceptual Reality L.L.C.
Phone:(248)926-8820
Fax:(248)926-8830