Re: Laser Life

From: Dan Sammons (DPT@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 18:37:15 EEST

We have just replaced an Omnichrome high power laser for our 250 that
lasted 6800 hours. We do not leave the laser running between builds and
our room is clean with the power coming off APC backup units. The 6800
hours have been the longest life we have seen on our 250 lasers although
each of the lasers in the past have been over 5000 hours.

Our experience with 500 lasers has not quite as consistent. I
personally feel that the 500/40 lasers are individually unique (for a
lack of a better term) and each laser is unpredictable. Room
conditions, power requirements, etc. play a big part in how long they
live (again, my opinion)

Thanks,
Dan Sammons
Design Prototyping Technologies