Trapped Volume problem in RP parts

From: #ANG BENG YEW# (P7211053F@ntu.edu.sg)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 09:08:01 EEST

Dear RP community,

I believe many who build RP parts have encountered the problem of
"trapped
volume", especially for parts with complicated features such as a human
skull.
As part of the research work for my M.Eng, I am trying to gather
informations
on the following issues:

1) What are the major causes of trapped volume problem?
2) What are the effects of trapped volume on the quality of the RP parts
as
    well as to the build process of various RP machines?
3) What are the current/possible remedies?
4) Are there any ways of modifying the build software, process or
materials
    so that we could at least alleviate (if not eliminate) the problem?
5) Other interesting issues related to this problem.

Please feel free to comment or relate your experiences. Your help
will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Beng Yew

Beng Yew Ang
Graduate Student
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
School of Mechanical and Production Engineering
Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
Tel: (65) 7995867 Fax: (65) 7924062
Pager: (65) 95865188
Internet Paging: http://203.116.62.67/singtel-page/intpage.phtml