Fw: What's happened to BPM?

From: ganter@u.washington.edu
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 23:59:06 EEST

Yakov, I am one of the folks that own a BPM machine. I've had one for
almost one year. The machine and the company has had its ups and downs.
Basically, the technology in the machine is sound but the company
released the machine/technology way too early to the world. Our machine
for the most part has worked and produced many parts (we have video
mpeg's on the web (www.me.washington.edu/~bpmview). It is in an open
student lab in the learning center (so there have been a few issues).
The company has worked VERY hard at addressing our user concerns. The
machine still had a few reliablity problems.... And now the bad news....
As of yesterday, "BPM has ceased operations." from there web page
(www.3dprint.com)... It is still too early to tell what will happen
next... Mark

--------------Beginning of Original Message-----------------

At last year's Autofact, or was it RP&M?, BPM came out with a low cost
($35000) desktop RP system called the Personal Modeler. At that price we
thought they might swallow a big chunk of the market. Since then there's
been practically no news of this company. Have they sold any machines?
Are they still operating?

Yakov Horenstein
Milano, Italy

Mark Ganter / ganter@u.washington.edu
Ph. (206)543-5487 / FAX (206)685-8047
Univ. of Washington / Dept. of Mech. Engr.
Box 352600 / Seattle, WA 98195-2600 / USA