RE: 3D printers - what are they?

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 02:20:39 EEST

On the obvious side, you have at least three metrics: What is a
prototype? What is rapid? What is an office?

The new 3-D printers are similar in function to the orginal so-called RP
machines, in that they give you a three-dimensional physical model of a
CAD (virtual) model. They are delicate, but useful to look at. Gradually, RP
became more useful. The new 3-D printers are faster and cheaper than the
old ones. The demand for that segment has always been there, but the small
RP vendors were able to afford to research only a couple of improvements
areas at a time and most of them chose to concentrate on tougher
materials, higher accuracy, and larger build volumes.

But back to the metrics. Rapid? OK, faster than other RP machines, but
still slower than making crude concept models from foam. Prototype? OK, they
make concept models, but not functional prototypes as some people think
of prototypes. Office? OK, you don't need a hooded, vented shop to operate
them or to remove the printed part support materials (or do you?). All of
the major vendors can make arguments for why their machines are better
than the others, according to which metric you use.

In summary, I consider 3-D printers a subsegment that the RP vendors did
not forget (now obvious). Each of the three metrics (and additional
metrics can be added, such as accuracy, degrees of freedom in the design
envelope, material choices) is a continuum. Foam, CNC, and virtual prototyping
can also be measured in the same way. Everyone needs to make a decision
about where they want to play, in terms of cost and comfort in decisionmaking.

Brock Hinzmann
SRI International