Re[2]: 3D printers - what are they?

From: jim@paramountind.com
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 17:07:04 EEST

     Terry... Perfect reply... Right on...Thankyou!

     Jim Williams, CEO
     Paramount Industries, Inc.

Subject: RE: 3D printers - what are they?
Author: "Terry T. Wohlers" <twohlers@compuserve.com> at INTERNET
Date: 10/23/97 2:01 AM

Brock,

> I agree, but a lot of people out there still aren't willing to invest t=
he
> time in creating a solid model CAD file for something they are just goi=
ng
> to throw away. =

You're right -- It doesn't make since to create a solid model ONLY to tak=
advantage of 3D printing. If solid modeling is at the core of the produc=
development process, the company can use this master model data to drive
engineering, analysis, visualization, documentation, and tooling. I'm no=
telling you anything you don't already know, but it's important to keep i=
mind that if one isolates a given activity that requires you to create
computer model data, you risk losing the benefit of that activity. That'=
why integration of data is so important. The lack of intergration, coupl=
ed
with the rigid steps that one must follow to get work done, are reasons w=
hy
CAD solid modeling hasn't been terribly successful for highly creative
(e.g., ergonomic) industrial design work -- a task that requires fast,
flexible, and intuitive tools.

> The people I talk to are just as happy or happier with the
> hand-carved foam, plywood, or sheet metal. =

=2E.. because they are fast, flexible, and intuitive -- not to mention
inexpensive.

Terry