RE: 3D printers - what are they?

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 01:11:03 EET

I agree with Preston's point, which is the same advantage of any process
that starts with a 3-D CAD solid model. Once you have that CAD model, you
can use the same data for the RP model, for use in collaborative virtual
environments, for making rapid design modifications, and in final
production.

The question that was being argued, however, was time. If you start the
clock running with the moment someone has an idea, it takes a little extra
time to generate that CAD model and then a physical model than it does to
make a quick sketch and hand carve a piece of foam.

Brock Hinzmann

Preston Smith wrote:
>At 09:43 AM 10/15/97 -0400, Marina Hatsopoulos wrote:
>>
>>>But back to the metrics. Rapid? OK, faster than other RP machines, but
>>>still slower than making crude concept models from foam.
>>>
>>>Brock Hinzmann
>>>SRI International
>>
>>In fact, this is not at all the case relative to Z Corp.'s Z402 system.
 We