Re: 3D printers - what are they?

From: Mark Kottman (mkottma@kimball.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 15:41:20 EET

The real key is to use the appropriate tool at the appropriate time. I
know that sounds trite, but amazingly most people simply do what they
know how to do.

Consider the reaction of a customer (internal or external, we all have
customers) who wants a quick model, but the engineer estimates it will
take two weeks to do a solid model and then a rp part. Do you think that
customer will be happy with that?

Likewise, if it is critical that the part be symmetrical, or contain a
specific volume, or mate with existing parts, it's not likely a quick
hand made model will do the job. This is why it is so critically
important to constantly expand your skills beyond your current area of
expertise. It's not a case of one way being wrong and the other right,
it's just right process for the job.

Mark