Quasi-rp, delete if you must

From: Brad W. Wright, Ph.D., P.E. (WrightEngr@gomontana.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 1997 - 18:11:57 EET

Hello all

As this is my first submission to the rp-ml, let me give you a little
background. I am a consulting
engineer with a high level of interest in rp, but no active
participation as yet. I have been closely
watching the various topics flow through the rp-ml for about a year
now. What I would like to
address is the "rule" that prohibits shameless self-promotion on the
rp-ml. I would submit that
there are those of us who truly appreciate knowing what is out there and
who does what. For
those of us on the "fringe", in industries parallel to rp, there is a
need to know.
I understand the views of those of you who are a little "gray around the
muzzle" in the rp industry;
you already know everything. But for us neophytes, I believe this
mailing list can help not only
our understanding of the industry, but be a boon to our respective
Rolodexes as well. Wouldn't
this foster an increased use of rp in general?
To this end, I would like to propose the declaration of the second week
in November as "Shameless
Self-Promotion Week." During this week, everyone who subscribes to the
rp-ml (and who so
desires) can submit a short testimony as to their work, company, rp
interests, or whatever. Of particular interest for folks like me would
be information from service bureaus all over the world as to
current equipment (number and kind, etc.) and capabilities/specialties.
While this will
undoubtedly ruffle the feathers of the rp-ml elite, it would indeed be
valuable to those of us
minions with little else to do than review our email and flesh out our
contact lists. An added benefit
of this period (perhaps repeated every six months or year?) would be
that the rest of the time,
brazen, unabashed narcissism would truly be inappropriate on the rp-ml.
Perhaps the mail-meister
could compile these into some kind of reference to which future
neophytes could be directed
in times of doubt (I have developed a peculiar affection for committing
other people's energies).
Perhaps this is not appropriate; I think it would be beneficial. Please
respond either on the
rp-ml or to me personally. You could categorize your response into one
of the following
categories:
  ___ This is an excellent idea!
  ___ This is not a good idea!
  ___ This is clearly a desperate and pitiful cry for help.

For those of you who already deleted this based on the header, you may
get quite a workout
for that index finger during the second week of November!

Respectfully submitted;

Brad W. Wright
Wright Engineering and Applied Technologies
WrightEngr@gomontana.com