Re: Quasi-rp, delete if you must

From: Rapid Dude (rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 07:46:55 EET

> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:54:47 -0400
> From: Kevan Jones <Kevan_Jones@cemcom.com>
> To: WrightEngr@gomontana.com
> Cc: rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi
> Subject: Re: Quasi-rp, delete if you must
>

> Kevan Jones
> 10/28/97 02:54 PM
>
> A fine idea, but........
>
> There are (from memory, someone correct me if I am wrong) somewhere between
> 1500 an 2000 participants in the rp-ml...

Not quite, yet.

> ...If half of those people decide to
> shamelessly self promote themselves, and half of those decide to do it on
> the first day of the second week of November, there could be traffic on the
> list of up to 500 messages that day. I believe the List Mom would be
> distressed if each list member were to receive 500 messages in one day (max
> 500 messages x 2000 participants = 1,000,000 outgoing messages--not
> good!!).

Not to mentione the workload the poor administrator gets. During the past
24 hours or so about 20 messages were sent to rp-ml. That created about
500 errormessages throughout the world (they all were sent to yours
truly). So 500 messages/day x 25 errors = 12500 errormessages... Please
put a cork on it. Other than that I have nothing against the idea itself.

> Dissemination of information is a fine thing, but we must think carefully
> how we do it!!

Yours truly

Hannu Kaikonen <rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi>
 'owner rp-ml'