Re: Build-time estimators

From: Markus Hitter (M.Hitter@FH-Trier.de)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 14:46:00 EET

> If we were to send some small .stl files of some simple components,
is
> anyone out there prepared to give us a build time estimate?

Hello,

as we are experienced in Build time estimating on our SLA-250, this is
no problem. We are able to estimate the build time without actually
building the part within +/- 2%.

For now we put the build time into 4 groups: Recoat time, laser time
for the support, laser time for the borders and laser time for the
volume. For constant build parameters it seems that recoat time is
proportional to the height of the part, border-curing time
proportional to the wetted area of the part and volume curing time
proportional to the volume of the part. For the area of the supports
(Volume = 0) we haven't found a method for guessing yet, as they are
not constructed in the CAD and highly depend on the geometry of the
part. Another parameter is the laser power. All laser times are
antiproportional to the laser power.

Another experience is, that you can vary the build parameters for
different geometries in a wide range. E.g. you can reduce the dip time
for geometries with a small slice area and when using thick layers.

Markus Hitter

-
 Markus Hitter http://www.fh-trier.de/~hitterm
 Dipl. Ing. Maschinenbau

 - CAD Flächenrückführung
 - Stereolithografie an der FH Trier
 - Programmieren im CAD- und Maschinensteuerungsbereich