Stereo-imaging question

From: Michael C Maguire (mcmagui@sandia.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 20:53:31 EET

Dear RP Group,

A few months ago I asked about some of the Mars Pathfinder imagery that had
presumably been converted from stereo-camera imagery, to .stl, ultimately to LOM
models. Does anyone know of how the images were converted to .stl (software
used, vendor or service bureau who did the conversion)?

My reason for asking is a bit non-technical. A respected member of our lab is
retiring and we want to have a replica of his head reproduced in a bronze
casting. If we ask him to get his head scanned he'll be suspicious. If however,
we can use a digital camera to generate a reasonable 3D facsimile of his head
(without having to send him to Mars), this would be desired.

Thanks for any help.

Michael C. Maguire, Ph.D.
Liquid Metal Processing Laboratory
Mail Stop 1134
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM 87185-1134
Phone: 505-845-3105
FAX: 505-845-3430
email: mcmagui@sandia.gov

P.S. Since this is coming out of personal funds from his peers, the normal
National Lab resources will not be available to tackle this problem. Otherwise
I'd have written a proposal for a few million dollars and would have spread the
work out over three years. ;)