Plaster casting from SLA RP patterns

From: Tim Plunkett (Badger@plunkett.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 23:57:40 EET

Dear Todd et al

We have been casting plaster moulds for some time now but not directly
off SL masters. The sequence we use is to cast an epoxy tool from the
SLA master, take a silicon cast of the tool and then cast plaster into
the silicon tool. This makes demoulding of the plaster easy. Further if
significant numbers are required multiple silicon casts can be taken
from the epoxy tool. Parts are usually intended for die casting in
production and are reasonably complex.
Number wise we have used this for volumes up to 200 parts. Speed wise
first off parts are available at 2 to 3 weeks. Materials usually zinc.
Accuracy a function of part size and geometry, generally the process is
repeatable and predictable, care is needed in feeding and gating as
usual.
Regards
Tim Plunkett
Formation Ltd , UK,