Re: model: Merging very complex Pro/E assembly into one part

From: Paul Dowd (creative@engineering.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 17:04:22 EET

Steve,
Assuming this is an axially symmetric part, this is what I would do.
Assemble an empty part into the assembly and do a surface copy of one
entire blade (copy solid surfs). Then go into the part and trim back the
quilt to cut away the part of the blade that "plugs in" so that only the
"visible" parts of the blade remain. Now go back to the assembly and
surface copy the entire hub into this new part. Go back to the part and
trim by extrusion to get rid of all but a 1/80th pie slice of the hub that
corresponds to where the blade is. Merge join the blade and the hub slice
making sure you have a clean, leak free connection. Now create a datum axis
at the cl of the hub and do a surface transform copy move rotate axis on
the quilt you have produced. Rotate it 4.5 deg. Now pattern the transformed
surface, 4.5 deg, 79 copies including original. Now merge join the 80
quilts and protrusion use quilt.

-Paul