Re: Spreadsheet and Word Processor for SGI

From: Kevan Jones (Kevan_Jones@cemcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 19:07:02 EET

Kevan Jones
12/12/97 01:07 PM

          Insignia Software sells SoftWindows for SGI (IRIX 6.2 or better).
We evaluated it to make our Maestro SGI Indigo 2 (250MHz, 128MB) more
useful, but to be honest, if you want to run Windows95 on a day to day
basis, buy an Intel Machine. SoftWindows is barely useable if you have an
application you want to use occasionally. Forget it for extensive Win95
use. Disk I/O is abysmally slow, Network I/O is similar.
An example:

A 133 Mhz Pentium running Win95 takes about 3 or 4 minutes to do a 5 Mb
over the network Incremental install upgrade of Lotus Notes from start to
finish.

The same upgrade on the SGI using SoftWindows took close to an hour.

SoftWindows retails for $599 (at last check). You can almost buy an entry
level Pentium for that price.