Re: Hybrid Machines

From: Jose Miguel Pinilla (jmp@Stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 19:20:13 EET

Take a look at http://www-rpl.stanford.edu THe SDM process is just what
you are suggesting, on top of it it handles tool grade steels, ceramics
and plastics. It is true that the Sw control issues in handling a
substrative/additive process are more difficult than "slicing", but we
strongly feel it is coming quickly to maturity.

Miguel

Greg Pettengill wrote:

> Terry Wohlers wrote:
> >
> > Yakov Horenstein wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe it's a dumb question, but how come no-one has come up with a
> > combined
> > > additive/subtractive fabricator?
> >
> > As I'm sure you're aware, Cubital and Sanders Prototype have combined these
> > methods. Perhaps you're referring to the use of milling, drilling, etc.,
> > to shape the object, versus flatten each layer. It is surprising that no
> > one has tried this, ... or maybe someone has and failed.
> >

> Perhaps the issue is more that there are no software tools for doing
> this.
> It is assumed in exsiting CAM systems that machining will be done as
> secondry
> operations.
>
> --
> Greg Pettengill
> greg_p@indirect.com
> Phone (602)375-2922
> http://www.indirect.com/www/greg_p/index.html

Jose Miguel Pinilla                   |  Mech. Engineering Dept.
Future Prof. of Manufacturing Program |  Stanford University
Rapid Prototyping Laboratory          |  Stanford, CA 94305-3030
Ph: 650-723-1301   Fx: 650-723-5034   |  mailto:jmp@Stanford.edu