Re: Rhino reviews or case studies

From: Guy Allen Brady (galbrady@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 20:50:02 EET

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Marshall Burns wrote:

> Thanks for the info on Form Z. Two questions:
>
> 1. Is Form Z (and is Rhino, for that matter) adequate for engineering
> design of electromechanical devices as opposed to industrial design of
> product shells? A lot of what you talked about seemed to be related to
> rendering pretty pictures, which is not our priority at this stage, although
> it will become so later.

Never underestimate the value of a pretty picture - the ability to
realistically render a (or multiple) view(s) of an object under
construction can do wonders in communicating to others. This goes for
either a simple schematic or a "real part". I've done both on FormZ and if
I only had a spare grand + change, I'd send the check to Michael before my
educational discount runs out. (Hey, do I get a cut for this
testionial??!)

I should say that I'm not a hard-core CAD monster, just a hack, but I
haven't had any problem with the software and use it for designing simple
objects ('cause that's all I can do) as well as schematics for "pretty
pictures".

Happy Festivus!

          G. Allen Brady -- Graduate Research Assistant
Materials Science and Engineering - The University of Michigan
2219 H.H. Dow Bldg. 2300 Hayward Street Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136
work: 313/936-0177 fax: 313/747-4807 email: galbrady@umich.edu
           http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~galbrady