RE: Beam Comp

From: Kamesh Tata (ktata@il1.plynex.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 22:35:31 EET

----------

Michael,
The idea behind the design of your STL file is superb. Most of the beam comp files (including mine) need a separate measuring instrument like a calipers. By providing a tapered wedge and a graduated slot, you have eliminated the need for such an instrument. What is the maximum measurable error?
Thank you for sharing the file. I would like to use it.

Happy new year to you and everyone on the list.

Kamesh

<<File: beamcomp.stl>>I received enough questions about my beam comp stl that I'll try to
explain further:

The stl consists of two parts, a tapered slot and a tapered wedge.

The two part file should be built at 45 degrees in the vat unless you
want to check x and y boundary compensation separately in which case
build two sets oriented in x and y. Build the part using your current
scale and boundary offset settings.

If your boundary offset is just right the wedge will slide into the slot
and bind up just as the ends of the two part align. If your boundary
offset is too little the wedge will not slide in all the way. If too
great, the wedge will slide in past the point of alignment.
Fortunately, the slot is graduated with .001 inch increments so you can
see how far off your boundary comp is. Here is the stl again:

Michael W Miller (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
The Boeing Company MS 17-PE B-XT62
Propulsion Experimental Hardware 206-655-3289
Rapid Prototyping 655-4366 Lab 655-4365