Re: Point Cloud Info Needed

From: Anshuman Razdan (razdan@taurus.eas.asu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 18:05:04 EET

This depends on how much data you want out of the file. The STL file itself
consists of triangles. SO it is an approximation of the original with plane
facets. If you were to use "center of the triangles" you essentially have 1/3
the number of data points. If you save the normal you can recreate the plane of
the triangle (not the triangle itself) since a point and normal is enough to
define a plane. Again depending on what you want to do with it - if you are
going to put it in a program to recreate the "free form surface" of the
original from the point cloud data, you are better of with all three vertices
(although STL file does not take care of redundancy i.e. if a vertex is shared
by 5 triangles that vertex is in the file 5 times), Any more points within the
triangle will be an overkill - three points are sufficient to define a
triangle.

Hoep this answers what your question !! If you describe the goal of your
project we will have better understanding and hopefully can give you better
advice.

--
Dr. Anshuman Razdan
Technical Director PRISM