Tool Wear

From: MR ALBIN A HASTBACKA (KHVD07A@prodigy.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 21:49:03 EET

-- [ From: Al Hastbacka * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

I was wondering if anyone on this list has a good way of measuring tool
wear. I would like to have a definitive way to define a tool (e.g. and
end mill) as being sharp or dull. Visual inspections are relatively
subjective depending upon the skill of the operator. I would like to
have a means to measure the tool quality that is relatively independent
of the skill of the operator. Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Al Hastbacka