3DP licensees

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 07:02:47 EET

Dear RP-World,

    Last week I briefly mentioned several of the companies that are
developing or selling fabricators using the drop-on-powder technique
licensed from MIT under the name "3D Printing." Many people wrote to ask
for more details of the lesser known companies. Let me give a little
more information here. But please note that I cannot relay information
about companies that they don't publish themselves in a public medium.
In particular, Therix is rather secretive about their work and I notice
that Extrude Hone does not mention this technology on their Web site.
But here's a little summary of drop-on-powder practitioners:

    Soligen: First licensee; for applications to investment casting
    Z Corp.: Licensed for concept modelling
    Therix: For medical applications
    Extrude Hone: For fabrication of metallurgical green bodies (for
sintering)
    Specific Surface: I did not know about these guys before, but they
were written up this week in Fortune magazine and the description was of
a drop-on-powder process although it did not mention MIT. Maybe it's a
copy-cat process. I don't know. I'm sure I'll be talking to them before
too long but I haven't yet.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com