SOMOS Resin

From: Bruce Okkema (bruceo@eagledesign.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 1998 - 18:52:45 EET

To all SLA users,
There have been a number of testimonies and questions about the SOMOS resins and I wish to add our experience to the discussion.

In the ever changing stereolithography community involving lower pricing and increased competition we have to find ways to produce the same quality for less money. Provided quality and stability can be maintained, build time is the most significant issue for us.

SOMOS 7100 resin is part of the answer for us. Build time and specifically drawing time has been reduced by 35% to 45%. Repeatability and accuracy is fully as good as 5180. Part clearity and side wall finish is improved. Stability is good and part curl is negligible. Thermal post curing brings the heat deflection temperature to 215 deg. Fahrenheit which makes it nice for injection mold applications. Support removal is superior. Bronson, Suresh, Dwight and the DuPont organization couldn't be more helpful.

Negatives: the resin is thicker than 5180, and you will have to readjust your shrinkage factors to get them where you like, but overall our team @ Eagle loves SOMOS7100!!

Bruce Okkema
Eagle Design & Technology, Inc. Ph: 616-748-1022
2437 84th Ave Fx: 616-748-1032
Zeeland, MI 49464 E-mail: bruceo@eagledesign.com
USA Web: www.eagledesign.com