Industries & Applications

From: Terry Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 01:57:47 EET

Thanks to those of you that responded to the following two questions. I
received 15 responses, which is not bad, but I know we can do better. If
you're an RP service provider, please, PLEASE take a couple of minutes to
estimate 1) the industries you serve, and 2) how your customers are putting
RP to work. Also, please take an extra minute to read the instructions.

I plan to combine your data with similar data provided by the RP system
manufacturers based on knowledge of their customers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.
twohlers@compuserve.com

1. INDUSTRIES BEING SERVED

Group your current customer base into the following categories by providing
a percentage estimate for each. Please **do not** change the names of the
categories or add new ones. If you do not have hard data, please estimate
the percentages. Your numbers will be kept confidential.

(a) motor vehicles
(b) aerospace
(c) business machines/electronics
(d) consumer products/electronics
(e) medical
(f) academic institutions
(g) government/military
(h) other

2. APPLICATIONS

How do your current customers use their RP models? Provide a percentage
for each of the following categories. Please do not change the names of
the categories or add new ones. Organizations use RP models for more than
one purpose, so the percentages **should** add up to more than 100. If you
do not have hard data, please estimate the percentages. Your numbers will
be kept confidential.

(a) visual design aids for engineering
(b) visual design aids for toolmakers
(c) functional models
(d) fit and assembly
(e) ergonomic studies
(f) requesting quotes
(g) presenting proposals
(h) patterns for prototype tooling
(i) patterns for metal castings
(j) core and cavity inserts (created directly on the RP machine)
(k) other