Re: desktop systems

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 13:27:53 EET

Elaine Hunt asked:

>In order to justify RP for lab and classroom activities I would like to
>explore the following:

Here are the data for our DeskProto desktop RP system.

>Initial cost of systems:
Software DeskProto USD 1,500.00
educational discount on software 50 %
CNC machine MBP 2030 USD 6,000.00
lowcost alternative machine: Modela USD 1,000.00

>Cost of build material:
Plastic foam per dm3 ca USD 1.00
Renshape tooling board per dm3 ca USD 10.00

>Average cost of Each model:
Low calculation shows material only, ca USD 10.00
Real calculation includes writing off initial cost, labour,
rent of building, heating, administration, and some profit
as well. Just fill in what you like.

>Speed of systems:
see next point

>Build time of each model"
dependant of material chosen and of accuracy needed (can
be freely chosen). Between 10 minutes (concept model in foam)
and 10 hours (accurate model in tooling board of plastic).

>Yearly main cost:
No maintenance contract. Say on average 10 % of initial cost

>Other associated costs:
Tools, and some equipent to hold the material block

>Other comments:
Mainly suitable for styling block models.
In your case very suited for classroom activities, as the students
can do it themselves what will make them quite enthousiastic.
Affordable for any school: universities, art schools, low budget
high schools, etc.

Best Regards

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling
mailto:info@spline.nl
website:http://www.spline.nl