Laser life

From: tas7@chrysler.com
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 14:21:32 EET

Ingrid,

  At Chrysler (Detroit MI.), we start our build from a DOS prompt - vs -
 the menu. When a build is complete the laser does not shut off
 automatically. I believe that leaving the laser on if you have builds
 back to back, or within 24 hours of your last build, the laser life is
 prolonged. Our average laser life is ~7200+ hours with ~20 mW at the
 vat. When the laser power dips below 20 mW we replace the laser. I
 believe our own personal record for laser life was ~7690 hours with 13
 mW at the vat. As a side note we do a Cad re-melt every 500 to 600
 laser hours. If the laser power is below what we would consider the
 norm (laser hours - vs- mW ) then we will do 4 or 5 re-melts back to
 back to increase the laser power.

 Thomas A. Sorovetz
 Chrysler Corp.
 313.493.2032