Large prototypes

From: smit, a. de (a.desmit@io.tudelft.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 18:46:20 EET

Hi there rp-ers

Since some months now I have read al kinds of discussions on this list.
Very interesting!
It seems to me however that most of the discussions were about systems
that are designed to create relatively small but very complex shapes.

I wonder how many of you are dealing with really LARGE prototypes, say
1 x 1 x 2 meters. Some of the discussions went about milling, which has
of course the possibility of handling large volumes. We here at the
Delft University of Technology for example have been working on a system
using a 6-axis industrial robot as a milling machine
(the sculpturing robot) with a planned working envelope of about 1 x 1 x
1 meters. (We didn't really produce models that big until now but we
keep trying)

I would like to ask you all if you know about systems that are fitted to
create really large shapes.

-what is the working principle
-what kind of rough material do they use
-where can I find more information.

Thanks in advance.
Very curious,

Bram

Bram de Smit
Delft University of Technology
Sub faculty of Industrial Design Engineering
Jaffalaan 9, NL-2628 BX Delft, The Netherlands
Phone +31 15 2783788 Fax +31 15 2787316
E-mail A.deSmit@IO.TUDelft.NL
www.io.tudelft.nl/research/ica/