re: Pulley prototypes? Stamping Q's

From: Jürgen Bauer (Juergen.Bauer@spy.siemens.de)
Date: Fri Feb 13 1998 - 12:17:58 EET

 Dear Dan,

LOM can make it for hydroforming, but only for simple geometry (bending rather than drawing) and limited pressure, i.e. 150 bar.
With your 3mm steel drawn 50mm, you easily top 100 bar on a hydroforming press.
In short: Forget LOM for this case.

Your quickcast idea could work.

But why cast metal ?
Build you pulley with SLA, then use a special drawing die resin from Ciba, a low-temperature alloy by MCP or even a Concrete from Densit AS, Denmark.
But, to be honest, I am not sure about tool wear in YOUR 3 mm steel - case.

So, I feel that you could end up high speed milling a tool. This could be done from hard wood (i.e. from OBO), which has excellent friction properties.

A job-shop in Germany that is qute "high-tech" in this business would be HAGO, tel. +49 7741 6003 - 0, fax +49 7741 6003 - 33
You could contact the founder, Mr. Haberstock, directly at Rolf.Haberstock@swol.de

To find a fluid cell press nearby your place, ask Mr. Johannisson from ABB pressure systems AB, Sweden, tel. +46 21 327252, fax +46 21 141817

To read more about the subject, have a look at
http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/projects/hyprform/shemet.html

With kind regards
Juergen Bauer

Siemens EC CS Automotive, Siemensstr. 13, 67346 Speyer, Germany
Tel. +49 6232 30 2501, Fax +49 6232 30 2110
E-Mail Juergen.Bauer@spy.siemens.de