LOM using DXF models

From: rgibson3 (rgibson3@erols.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 00:21:51 EET

I've just recently started importing AutoCAD DXF files in order
to produce LOM models and have been noticing that these DXF files
typically don't convert smoothly to STL files. I'm using Solid Concept's
SolidView application and must perform a considerable amount of
repairs on the DXF file, in SolidView, in order to produce a machineable
STL file.
        The most common symptoms within the DXF files are unshared
edges, wrongly oriented facets, and numerous "shells". If anyone has
some experience with this, I loved to hear from you.

Ralph Gibson III
rgibson3@erols.com