Re: Hollow SLAs

From: Drew Brown (dsbrown@conceptual-reality.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 17:06:49 EET

Gabe Clark wrote:

> RP List,
> I have a client that wants to build an SLA part that is a thin shell
> that would completely entrap some liquid resin. Like a bowl with a lid on it.
> This would be built in ACES style, not Quickcast. Have any of you done
> something like this? Could you build it like a trapped volume and then just
> drill a hole in the bottom in the GREEN state and drain it before cleaning and
> curing? Could you put vents and drains in it with the Quickcast software and
> still build it in ACES? Would it be better to add the holes on the CAD end?
> How big do they have to be before one could single sweep again? Any tips for
> removing the forever trapped supports in side a THIN shell? Many thanks in
> advance!!!
>
> --
> Gabe Clark gabe.clark@sdaa.com
> Rapid Prototype Manager (801)-328-8220
> Solid Design & Analysis www.sdaa.com

Add a drain hole and a plug (to build seperately) at the bottom of the
trap. Make sure the drain hole is at least 10% of the largest trapped
area.

If the supports become a problem you should split the part and build
seperately and bond them back together after. This will insure that the
inside will be free frome supports.

Drew Brown
Conceptual Reality L.L.C.
http:\\www.conceptual-reality.com