SLS software for Bonus-Z

From: Alexandre L. PAPADATOS (apapada@clemson.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 16:13:19 EET

Dear Sir,

At 09:04 AM 03/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>In house rapid prototyping lab seeks long term relationship with
>software to control bonus z on our DTM's. Applicants should be fast,
>reliable, and user friendly requiring minimum maintenance. Able to
>interface well with complex STL's a plus. Serious responses only please
>reply to,
>Michael W Miller (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
>The Boeing Company MS 17-PE B-XT62
>Propulsion Experimental Hardware 206-655-3289
>Rapid Prototyping 655-4366 Lab 655-4365

At Clemson University, we have an experimental SLS workstation, that was
based on DTM's Sinterstation. It is a research workstation that has some
unique features.

Among them, one is the ability to use a new controller for the beam
positionning, instead of the GSI one. This new controller allows us to have
feedback from the machine, like beam position in real time. Hence, a
dynamic control of the process is now possible.

This new controller also allows us to control the laser power using a
software, whenever we decide to (i.e. during the scanning of a layer, and
not only before each layer). Coupled to a software we have developed, we
are able to simulate on the screen the build of a SLS part, and predict
unwanted phenomena like the bonus-z. Using the dynamic controller, the
laser power can then be automatically decreased whenever it is needed, in
order to reduce the bonus-z phenomenon.

For more information, please look at our website at
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/sls/

Our current research is shown at
http://www.eng.clemson.edu/~apapada/SLS/doing.html

Feel free to contact us.