RE: Technologically Challenged

From: Deak, Steve (SDeak@hasbro.com)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 19:06:53 EEST

Elaine:

You are right on the money with this one. While RP&M was making great
strides in accuracy, throughput, materials, and applications,
conventional methods were not standing still. N/C machining has
progressed to a point where it is considerably easier to tool path a CAD
model than it was 5 years ago. Today, starting with the same solid
model, we can 1) make an RP model and verify design intent, then make
manufacturing tooling using 2) an N/C or 3) RP tooling without much
difficulty.

So, while we all like to take calculated risks, conventional methods
using stable, industry accepted materials, are a sure bet for success
while RP&M always has a caveat limiting application. Money talks and BS
walks.........and we all know there has been a lot of BS and over-hype
on RP tooling. Exciting at first, but the excitement is short lived
when applications are limited. RP&M in its current state has small
niches of appropriate application.

So, my tool box is filled with product development tools I use
sporadically and I have to remember they are there so I can employ them
at the appropriate time. Cheer up, life is better because we have more
options than ever before.

Steve Deak e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
Manager-Rapid Prototyping voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
Hasbro, Incorporated fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
615 Elsinore Place
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202 USA "Our Business is FUN!"