SL5510 - To buy, or not to buy? That is

From: Murphy, Matt (matt_murphy@peragroup.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 19:42:00 EEST

Calling all SLA-350 Users,

We are currently weighing up the pro's & cons of switching from SL5190 to
SL5510.

The benefits associated with zero pre-dip delay and reduced moisture
absorption are obvious, and (from the data sheets at least) the two resins
have comparable mechanical properties.

So we decided to go forward and asked 3D for a sample which they have now
kindly provided (the square bottle, 1.5-2.0 mm wall thickness).

It looks quite good but I cannot base the decision to buy on this alone, and
I can't perform any meaningful tests on this sample.

Are there any experienced users of SL5510 out there who can share their
experience?

I have heard thin walled parts are very brittle, and as we are building
QuickCast parts 1.2m long / 300mm diameter I can't afford to have them break
on us. Any opinions?

Is the claimed improvement in QC drainage noticeable?

How do foundries find 5510?

The sample I have contains several bubbles - is this a typical problem?

How will the people in our finishing shop find the material?

Answers to these questions, and any other experiences, will be gratefully
received.

I will collect all responses and re-post them after Easter.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Dr Matt Murphy
Practice Leader - Rapid Manufacturing
Pera Group, Nottingham Road, Melton Mowbray,
Leicestershire, LE13 0PB, UK

Tel: 44 (0) 1664 501 501
Fax: 44 (0) 1664 501 589
email: matt_murphy@peragroup.com