RE: Skulls

From: Miller, James V (CRD) (millerjv@exc01crdge.crd.ge.com)
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 16:13:15 EEST

I remember someone posting to this list a message some time ago that someone somewhere had a whole
website of skulls.

However, what I would do is run out and get the visible man or visible woman datasets. Run marching
cubes on the CT data to extract the skull. Then cut the isosurface model with a plane. Another
approach is to use a probe filter to sample the CT volume data across a plane that is oriented to go
between the ears and nasal cavity. This "reformat" of the data will give you a CT image as if the CT
scanner was oriented properly. My gut feeling is that only minor adjustments in plane orientation are
going to be needed.

Bill Lorensen has a complete web page on using the visible man and visible woman datasets. Take a
look at http://www.crd.ge.com/~lorensen/

All the necessary modelling operations (reading the data, creating isosurfaces, clipping the
geometry, or probing the volume data) can be done using the Visualization Toolkit
(http://www.kitware.com/) a freely distributable visualization library written in C++ with Tcl, Java,
and Python bindings.

Jim Miller