RE: SGC....maybe listed price...residue value

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 14:40:30 EEST

At 2:31 PM +0800 16/4/98, DAN DAVIS, RAPID PROTOTYPE wrote:

>The perception in the RP community is that a Cubital is just NOT a
>machine that is easy to run, fast or economical.

Easy to run? No.
Fast and economical? Depends on the number of parts you need.

>material choice is limited to one.

I believe there are now two materials

>The build envelope is fixed size

Wrong. FlexiVolume (software that allows you to vary the size of the work
envelope) has been a feature of Cubital machines for some time.

>Each layer takes about 90 seconds no matter the part size in
>X & Y.

Cycle time can be reduced to around 65 secs. per layer NO MATTER THE PART
SIZE, OR THE NUMBER OF PARTS TO BE MADE. This feature (fixed,
pre-determined layer-build time, irrespective of geometry or complexity) is
one of the big advantages of the Cubital system.

>There is only one place that I know that makes money using it
>(TMD in Ohio, USA).

I know of a few more profitable Cubital centers in Europe and Asia. Making
money in the RP service business depends on much more than which RP system
you own. Put another way, any RP system can be part of a profitable
business. At $27,500 the Cubital on auction was a bargain.

Yakov Horenstein
Milano, Italy