A joke - do not read unless you want know more about Pythagoras

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 04:39:51 EEST

Since we are celebrating Pythagoras' Day, I thought I would share a very
old piece of playground humour. I'm sure I will offend someone (apologies
in advance) but I just couldnt resist it:-

I remember a bizarre circus act. A magician, sitting on top of a slide, was
directing the operations of a native American Indian balancing act. One
woman, sitting on a hippo, was balancing on a seesaw. On the other side of
the seesaw were two other women, each sitting on a slide. Eventually the
seesaw balanced and the magician declared that 'the squaw on the
hippopotamus was equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two slides'.

IG

BTW just for the record, I havent posted a joke on this list since
september 1996. The next one is planned for december 1999.

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong