Re: Not a RP Thesis....but an idea for an application!!!

From: Justin R. Kidder (jrkst34+@pitt.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 17:36:37 EEST

Interesting idea, but why would you need RP? Just having a 3-D computer
model of the victims would be good enough (and cheaper too). This model
could be transported via internet, printed and distributed to whoever
wanted it, etc...
I wonder, though, if anyone is working on such a computer graphics
problem. I'm sure someone must be--probably plastic surgeons would have a
great use for this type of product.

Justin

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Innomation Systems & Technologies Pte. Ltd., wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i had this idea after Singapore got her first air-crash in the whole
> airline history.
>
> after seeing the disembodied parts...and charred remains....to really
> identify all these remains for the loved ones will definitely be a very
> time-consuming and complicated tasks.
>
> say for example, if given a skull how can we know how the deceased looks
> like before fire eats out al the flesh???
>
> if we can at that point of time ...digitised the skull and reproduced the
> face of the skull...wouldn't that be a good idea???
>
> let me llustrate....
>
> now for example, the police has received a case of a found corpse..highly
> decompose....left only the skull and the bones. no identification...so it
> will be difficult for DNA....no clues..so we will not know where to start
> looking for the missing persons.
>
> but suppose now, integrating the power of reverse engineering(primary) and
> rapid prototyping(secondary)...the face of the deceased can be re-created
> from the skull....wouldn't that help to solve the case in a faster
> manner....rather than keeping it under Unsolved section because it will
> take a very long time for the sculptor to recreate the facial appearance of
> the deceased.
>
> i feel that this application can be very useful to the archaelogists,
> forensics and disaster management teams. take disaster management for
> example.....a quick identification of the deceased...at least the victims'
> families may have the comfort of transporting the remains back to their
> desired location for burial...rather than a mass burial.
>
> well, that's my idea...so i am not sure if this can be a good RP or reverse
> engineering thesis.
>
> Sincerely,
> joseph sim

Justin Kidder, Research Asst. | Automation and Robotics Laboratory
jrkst34+@pitt.edu | University of Pittsburgh

               Home page: http://www.pitt.edu/~jrkst34
         There are two rules for ultimate success in life:
                1. Never tell everything you know.